Vegan Southern Candied YamsNov 08, 2019
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour 20 mins
Candied yams are a southern soul food staple. This vegan version does not disappoint!
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup Earth Balance Vegan Butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1-1/2 tsp orange zest
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup maple syrup (depending on how saucy you like them!)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp lemon extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9×13 casserole dish with a bit of the vegan butter.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into slices about 1/4″ thick
- Place the sliced sweet potatoes in the greased casserole dish.
- Heat vegan butter, brown sugar, grated ginger and orange zest in a small saucepan over medium heat. Heat until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add maple syrup, vanilla, lemon extract, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt to the saucepan and stir until well combined.
- Pour the mixture over the sweet potatoes. Mix to coat. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Baste sweet potatoes with syrup and bake for another 25 minutes.
- Remove foil. Baste with syrup again and bake uncovered for an additional 20 minutes. Enjoy!
Adapted from this Healthier Steps recipe
Need more vegan Thanksgiving recipes? Try these!
Get your Daniel Fast Kick Start Cookbook!
Join my Daniel Fast email list and receive this free cookbook with 7 of my favorite, mouthwatering Daniel Fast recipes. Plus, you’ll get early access to Daniel Fast tips and exclusive recipes.