Vegan Sweet Buttery CornbreadNov 18, 2019
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
Total Time: 35 mins
Ahhh, cornbread. You are the icing on the cake of any soul food dinner. There are many variations but my favorite is sweet cornbread my mama used to make us growing up.
As I sought to make a vegan version it proved tougher than I thought it would be. I tried two different versions that were dry and just didn’t cut it. But then I found a recipe by one of my favorite vegan podcasters and it was love at first bite. This recipe is exactly what I remembered as a kid – buttery and delicious. I hope you enjoy!
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup raw sugar (you can decrease or omit this if you want a less sweet cornbread)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/4 cup soy milk (or any other plant milk)
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 Neat “egg” or any vegan egg replacement
- 7 tsp Earth Balance vegan butter
- Preheat over at 400 degrees.
- Make your Neat “egg” and set it aside.
- In a large bowl add cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl, mix together soy milk, canola oil and Neat “egg”.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Drop the Earth Balance vegan butter in the batter by the teaspoon ensuring its distributed throughout the batter.
- Pour the batter into a cast iron skillet (or you can use an 8×8 baking pan).
- Bake for 23 – 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Brown Vegan
Need more vegan Thanksgiving recipes? Try these!
Get your Daniel Fast Kick Start Cookbook!
Join my Daniel Fast email list and receive this free cookbook with 7 of my favorite, mouthwatering Daniel Fast recipes. Plus, you’ll get early access to Daniel Fast tips and exclusive recipes.