Velvety Vegan Brown Mushroom GravyNov 08, 2019
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
I LOVE Gravy. Always have. Even that terrible brown gravy they served in our elementary school cafeteria was one of my favs. So when I transitioned plant-based it’s one of the things I missed. That is until I created THIS recipe! Now I’m back riding the gravy train. Top these super creamy vegan roasted garlic mashed potatoes with this gravy and you’ll be doing the happy dance.
- 1 Tbsp avocado, grapeseed or olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 8oz white mushrooms, sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 4 cups water
- 1 Tbsp Better Than Bouillon Seasoned Vegetable Base
- 2 Tbsp Bragg Liquid Aminos
- 2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large non stick skillet on medium heat. Add diced onions and sliced mushrooms. Cook for 7 minutes or until onions are soft and mushrooms are cooked. Add the garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook for another minute. Place half of the onion, garlic and mushroom mixture in a separate bowl.
- Add poultry seasoning and flour to the pan with the remaining half of the mushroom mixture. Stir together until crumbly. Add water, Better Than Bouillon, liquid aminos and lots of black pepper. Whisk to combine the flour into the other ingredients.
- Bring the gravy to a boil then reduce to a brisk simmer. Cook uncovered for 15 minutes or until the gravy thickens to your desired consistency.
- Add the reserved mushroom, onion and garlic mixture back into the pan. Heat through.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary. Enjoy!
This gravy is delicious served with Vegan Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes.
Need more vegan Thanksgiving recipes? Try these!
Get your Daniel Fast Kick Start Cookbook!
Join my Daniel Fast email list and receive this free cookbook with 7 of my favorite, mouthwatering Daniel Fast recipes. Plus, you’ll get early access to Daniel Fast tips and exclusive recipes.